There are so many breeds these days that you can find dogs of just about every conceivable shape, size, and color. Still, we tend to assume we know how certain breeds will look. Who in the world couldn’t recognize a golden retriever?
Believe it or not, it’s actually possible come across dogs that are so strange-looking, they almost don’t look real. Just take a peek at these positively adorable pups with the most unique fur markings and patterns imaginable. You’ll probably never see anything like them again!
1. This dachshund has a rare combination of several different coloring types, making him almost look a little bit like the classic Batman villain, Two-Face. Thankfully, this cute pooch doesn’t have a mean bone in his body.
Chaval Brasil / Flickr
2. This unique dog is a merle, which is the name given to a gene that creates mottled patches of color. It looks almost like there’s some sort of spectacular cosmic explosion on his face!
3. This adorable little puppy looks like he might spend his nights fighting crime with what definitely looks like a classic domino mask. Either that, or he’s the henchman (henchdog?) to a dastardly super villain!
vinkulelu / Reddit
4. The idea of a black-and-tan French bulldog is almost too cute to imagine! This guy almost looks to have similar color patterns to a German Shepherd. Maybe he could be a tiny police dog?
5. Here’s an adorable bi-colored pug. With his perfectly split color schemes, he almost looks like some sort of walking, barking playing card. What do you think… could he be the pug of spades?
6. Just check out this bulldog’s striking blue eyes. Typically, dogs in this breed boast deep brown eyes, but not this cutie! Can you imagine what he’s saying with those puppy dog eyes?
7. This Australian shepherd sure is one-of-a-kind. That said, she certainly looks like she’s about to get into a whole mess of trouble. We all know what that mischievous look means!
8. This remarkable Rottweiler has severe depigmentation due to a condition called vitiligo. All sorts of animals can develop this condition, including (but not limited to) humans!
9. This unique yellow Labrador named Bull is suspected to be something called a chimera, which is a single animal that is, genetically, two animals. This means that he’s actually his own twin!
10. Just look at this dappled dachshund puppy! She really has no idea of how special and adorable she is with her unique coat. Hopefully, everybody around her showers her with affection!
11. Don’t you just love the distinguished mustache on this guy? He looks just like an old-timey boxer (the kind that punches for sport, not the dog breed) from the turn of the century!
12. This Frenchie resembles a tiny panda bear, doesn’t she? With the way she’s munching on that patch of grass, it almost looks like she really thinks she is! Hey, little one, that’s not bamboo!
13. This rare mosaic Labrador retriever has a somatic mutation, which gives her really unique markings. Some would say she looks very much like some sort of Rorshach test!
14. This same somatic mutation causes yellow Labradors to show black spots, too. Doesn’t this pooch look like a fierce tiger? Well, maybe not fierce. We bet he couldn’t harm a fly with that sweet face.
15. This dog’s pattern resembles that of a zebra. Don’t tell her that, though; soon enough, she might just start to believe that she really does belong in the African Serengeti!
16. The fur markings on this mother dog and her puppy resemble a heart. Hopefully, this is a lovely sign that they’re going to remain close and loved by their humans for many years to come.
17. This corgi somehow found a way to be even cuter, even when he’s turning his back to you. Every time he turns around, he’s just showing you his adorable, heart-shaped tuchus!
18. Now this “dog on a dog” patch of fur is just hilarious, even if it is a little bit of a brain bender! It’s actually quite hypnotic. What if this dog on the dog had a little dog patch of its own? Whoa—dog-ception.
19. This puppy seems to be looking at the camera in such a way as if to say, “Okay, yeah, I know that I have the shape of a heart in my fur. You really don’t have to make a big deal about it.”
20. That sure is one silly-looking pup, given that strange patch of black fur across his mouth that makes him look like he has a goofy mustache. If we didn’t know better, we’d call him “Groucho Barx.”
21. This poor dog has a marking that is a bit unfortunate. It’s not his fault, but you’d have to imagine that he gets made fun of for it all the time by other dogs. Oh, and probably humans, too.
22. This particular patch of fur—in the shape of a heart—looks so perfect that it almost seems fake or Photoshopped. Or perhaps someone dyed it on her. Either way, she’s making quite the fashion statement!
23. This puppy’s coat is a gorgeous mix of orange-tinged patches contrasted against stark black stripes. Here’s one case where you can justify calling him the name of another animal: Tiger!
24. This beautiful guy is a red merle Australian shepherd. He may look somewhat bored in this particular photo, but there’s nothing dull at all about his astonishing coat of fur.
25. This pup has a natural mustache, and quite a mischievous-looking one at that. Sure, he probably only wants to play, but that doesn’t stop his human friends from thinking he’s up to no good!
26. This beautiful dog has freckles! Did you even know that was possible? Sure, they’re more like spots or mottling on his fur, but their color is unlike anything we’ve ever seen.
yummie4mytummie / Reddit
27. These Chinese puppies created an Internet sensation when they were born; they seem just like panda bears. Since pandas are native to China as well, so it’s fitting that they’re dressed the same way.
28. Here’s a truly unique Bernese Mountain Dog. It seems like he was dipped in ink! Meanwhile, the front section of his body is almost completely white. Typically, these dogs will have a lot more brown on their coats.
29. This sweet little pup is a combination of a Pomeranian and an Australian shepherd. He’s absolutely stunning to look at, perhaps partly because of how unusual his parents are.
30. Check out the coat on this spotted dog! Upon first glance, you might actually mistake him for a hyena. Thankfully, he’s not a wild predator. He’s just a sweet dog who has a great fashion sense.
31. It’s impossible not to love this pup with a nose like that. How many times do you want to bet that she gets “booped” on her heart-shaped nose each day? (We’re guessing a hundred!)
32. This is a German Shepherd whose coloration is the result of piebaldism, a rare mutation. This dog doesn’t seem to mind that he’s unusual, though—he’s still quite special!
33. Here are two other stunning German Shepherds with unusual coats. Usually, people have a very specific image in mind when they think of this breed, but their colors really range from super light—like the one on the left—to all sorts of blacks and browns.
34. This silly pooch looks like a little bandit. Or maybe he’s really just part raccoon? Hopefully, he’s not going to go and get himself in too much trouble digging through trash, though…
BillionBeast / Reddit
35. This adorable puppy definitely seems like she’s all dressed up as a cute Care Bear for Halloween! Truly, she looks poised to save the world with the powers of love and adorableness.
LaTigree / Reddit
36. This stunning dog is a brown spotted Dalmatian. Who would’ve known that even these iconic black-and-white spotted dogs could have variations in their color patterns?
Who knew there were so many different coats to some of the most common dogs? As if dogs could be any more amazing…
Share these wonderfully unique pups with your friends below!