As pet owners, we imagine that when we leave the room for a minute or go to work our pets just sleep and lounge around all day, patiently waiting for us to return. But that’s not always the case. In fact, our pets often lead secret lives that we never get to see…
And sometimes when they least expect it, we come back and catch them in the act of doing something pretty outrageous. These 20 mischievous pets were caught red-handed — ahem, red-pawed — and the photographic evidence will make every pet owner howl with laughter.
1. This dog was caught red-pawed picking on their cat sibling. Dogs lead us to believe that their feline siblings taunt and manipulate them. When our backs are turned, so are the tables
RedditYankee / Reddit
2. So much for celebrations. This cake was destroyed after a stealthy feline attack rendered it uneatable. By the look on this cat’s face, they didn’t plan on leaving any cake for the rest of the party, either.
3. Look at this most interesting dog in the world. He showed no shame at all towards his owner who caught him making a mess out of the school supplies. One might even say that he looked somewhat proud of himself.
Audrey Rosenstein / Twitter
4. Cats go under the couch all the time, but they usually don’t go through it. This feline friend managed to use their time away from their human to make a cat door in the couch.
Ccherry91 / Tumblr
5. Not all dogs enjoy getting baths, but apparently, this Siberian Husky did! This little pup found a place to relax in their very own, personal-sized bath tub. Sorry to whoever had to towel off this wet dog…
6. The way of life for a cat usually follows this kitty motto: “If it fits, I sits.” Being a malleable animal, cats normally have no problem squeezing into small places and odd shapes — and this one was living proof!
Iakasuasro102 / Reddit
7. On the other hand, dogs are not so great at fitting and sitting. When this owner realized her pooch wasn’t in the yard anymore, they came outside to find their “good dog” digging a comfy seat in their decorative planter. Guilt was written all over what we could see of their face!
Juuuuice / Reddit
8. This ferret thought a box in the recycling bin was a new toy. When their human returned, they found that their two-toned ferret managed to weasel their way into this box and get stuck. Good thing their human caught them!
MaidSirena / Imgur
9. Learning new tricks we didn’t want them to know is also something our pets do when we aren’t around. This cat was learning how to walk on the ceiling when they were caught in the act.
GermanSuplexingHorses / Imgur
10. When this bunny’s owner turned their back for a split second to grab a spoon, they jumped right up on to the counter and into this unoccupied bowl of Trix cereal. Silly rabbit! “Trix are for kids.”
MediterraneanLiamNeesonCrushedFace / Reddit
11. Even the most innocent looking pets can get up to no good. This little hamster snatched this cherry off of their owners plate when they weren’t looking. Needless to say, their days of freedom are gone. It’s the hamster wheel from here on out!
12. This cat’s secret life was clearly a bit unconventional. This tabby cat was involved in the largest pool gambling ring in the state. This photo caught them trying to cheat by intentionally “scratching” during the other team’s turn.
JeeperG / Imgur
13. This human couldn’t help but snap a photo of their dog when they found them like this. Their dog managed to find the egg crate foam in their dog bed and attempt to eat through it. They were almost successful… until it got stuck on their head.
14. This cat saw their human accidentally left the refrigerator open and took this opportunity to let their alter-ego “Fridge Cat” out to play! He seemed to regret this plan, no?
Emilyjjobot / Imgur
15. In any family, siblings pick on each other, especially the youngest ones. Things are no different in canine families. These two puppies decided their younger sibling was going to get a swirly!
16. Because of the black “mask” on their faces, raccoons are thought to look like little bandits. Their facial coloring is not coincidental though, they really are mischievous thieves in their secret lives. This raccoon was caught in the middle of a heist!
17. Sometimes dogs forget that their humans aren’t supposed to find out what they’re up to. This dog had absolutely no way of hiding the mess they made when their humans weren’t home, but they don’t seem that worried about it!
18. If you want a visual demonstration of what the words “criminally guilty” mean, then this photo is for you. This dog, seemingly proud of their work, was just happy that their owner was home again, not realizing the mess they made. Their reaction to being left home alone for fifteen minutes was next-level dramatic.
19. This cat was practicing scaling the walls while their human was at work, only to make a grave miscalculation. When their owner returned home, they were caught in the act, with no way to hide!
20. Hampers are no match for a curious young dog. New smells, old smells, just smell that smell. He was caught red-pawed sticking his nose where it shouldn’t be when the hamper lid got stuck on his head!
Although our pets get into a little bit or a lot-a-bit, of trouble, we still love them at the end of the day.
Share these mischievous pets with your friends below!