Every pet owner leaves the house for work and then wonders…just what do pets do all day? We imagine they get into all kinds of shenanigans when we’re not looking, but that’s impossible, right? Well that imagined behavior, as it turns out, is reality for some animals — just not the ones in our homes.
Thanks to these brilliant little motion-activated, night-vision equipped cameras, we have evidence that some animals out there get pretty weird when no one’s looking. In fact, the secret lives of these wild animals are even wackier than we could imagine!
1. “There we were, having a nice, quiet dinner…then BOOM. Typical Mike, going berserk over a little flash! Can you believe that guy sometimes? I mean really.” While the two deer on the right were keeping their cool, it seems the guy on the left is a little shell-shocked to say the least. Oh deer!
2. If you thought inter-species relationships were just for Disney movies, think again. Here’s a raccoon riding a wild pig, and both look pretty happy about it. This pairing looks pretty similar to your classic Timon and Pumba, don’t ya think?
3. Are they gazing at the stars? Are they laughing hysterically at a good joke one of them told? Of course not! They’re just your regular wolf-pack howling at the moon, and it is pretty cool to see them so up close (without being eaten, that is).
4. Humans aren’t the only ones that like a good back scratch. Instead of asking each other for a helping claw, these bears made this tree their scratching post of the day. Fun for the bears, less fun for the tree.
5. This looks like a classic battle of “who wore the antlers better?” Was it Stevie, the real life deer with the fluffy white tail, or Ernest, the plastic decoy/replica who’s missing a foot? Clearly Ernest won, and Stevie was none too pleased about it.
6. While the deer remain unaware of the fact that they’re being watched, this raccoon is definitely on to the hidden cameras. Someone’s looking a little guilty… what was this little guy up to?
7. Porcupines may not come out very often around humans, but they clearly are up for meeting each other in the night! These two look like they’re having a clandestine rendezvous. Are they lovers or are they fighters?
8. While owls are notoriously skilled and vicious hunters, a deer seems like a bit “overkill” for them. Perhaps there’s just a mouse next to the deer because that is definitely not your place, Mr. Owl.
9. This is going to be one disappointing Easter for a whole bunch of kids… unless these are the leftover eggs that couldn’t be found. Either way, this squirrel probably shouldn’t be eating candy, even though he deserved it after finding them like a pro.
10. Is this bear shooting hoops, dancing, or washing his paws in a shower? Either way, it’s quite unsettling to see a bear standing upright with its paws in the air like it just don’t care.
11. “So it’s settled. We’re all going to run in front of cars and scare the pants off of the drivers.” This deer dinner meeting is looking awfully suspicious. Also, note how there are only two males and 8 females. These boys must have some serious game!
12. Oh, hi there! This deer was photobombing long before it was cool. We don’t mind a little up-close and personal deer lick, though. It’s good for the soul after all.
13. Have you ever been shaking your behind like nobody’s business when you suddenly notice you’re being recorded? Tough luck bear, maybe you and the guy caught showering can share stories.
14. Food preparation and tasting videos are all the hype online these days. Watch this otter prepare and devour this fish, but don’t even THINK about touching it. Find an otter fish to fry!
15. Nala and… Sarabi (that was Simba’s mom)? These lady lions are sharing some secret love in the middle of the night. Nothing wrong with a little smooching in the dark!
16. “I’ve got you now you sleigh-pulling son of a gun! This is what you get for stealing all my nuts!” Who will win this intense battle? The deer may have antlers, but our money is on the squirrel. He seems to really want it.
17. Is this some kind of contestant show? Which deer looks the best? Which one will I eat tonight? We can only hope this meeting ended well for all parties involved.
18. What are you looking at, punk? You enjoy spying on wild animals in the dark with your hidden cameras, don’t ya? How would you like it if you were always being recorded? Oh wait, you have Snapchat and Instagram. Move along then.