In the wilderness, a good coat of fur or the right scale pattern can go a long way. For most animals, being able to camouflage themselves can mean the difference between sneaking up on their next meal or becoming one for something else! Of course, some animals are real masters at evolution’s ultimate game of hide-and-seek.
The chameleon, for instance, can change its color, while leopards and cheetahs can virtually disappear in tall grass on the plains. Other animals may not boast the same camouflage prowess, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have just enough skill to slip into the background of their habitats unnoticed. Below are 10 of nature’s best hiders you’ll ever see—if you can find them, that is!
1. The animal hiding here can be found in just about any environment, from timberlands to deserts. And like other animals in this list, this guy benefitted a great deal from his surroundings. Can you spot him? If not, you might be the prey!
It’s a wolf! You see, as master hunters, wolves know all too well how important it is to blend in with their surroundings. So it only makes sense that this one decided to stand next to a tree trunk that was almost the same shade as his coat.
3. This is another instance of an animal being in the right place at the right time. Somewhere in these wood stacks is a fluffy pet who’s not going to be spotted by the neighborhood dog anytime soon. Look closely; she’s in there somewhere…
jmankruse / Reddit
Wow! That cat is the exact same shade of yellow as the wood. Next time you go into your backyard to fetch some firewood, just make sure there aren’t any cats lying there. That’s sure to give anyone a scare.
3. While not every creature is necessarily known for its innate hiding abilities, the one in this picture is certainly getting a little help from his surroundings. Can you see past the camouflage, or are you still looking?
There he is, over there on the right side of the picture! If it was his long neck that gave him away, remember: giraffes have the same amount of bones in their necks as humans do in theirs! You’ll never look at them the same again.
4. Native to South America, this animal stands approximately 14 inches tall. Interest in keeping them as house pets has grown in recent years, and owners are particularly fond of their intelligence, as evidenced by this one’s ability to hide in plain sight…
Did you manage to find the blue-crowned parakeet hiding among all that lush foliage? Don’t worry if you didn’t; even people with a keen eye struggle with this one. After all, this bird’s feathers are practically the exact same color as the leaves!
5. Believe it or not, there is an animal somewhere in this picture. Can you spot her? Found typically in sub-Saharan Africa, the marks on this critter’s fur—known as rosettes—are smaller and more densely packed than those of her relatives.
With a coat designed to help her hunt, you probably had a hard time seeing this leopard sitting down there in the bottom corner of the picture. But once you spot her, it’s impossible not to realize that she’s been patiently waiting to pounce on you!
6. You can typically find one of these animals in the woodlands or between plains and savannas. Their lyre-shaped horns are a unique feature on males. Can you spot the one in this picture?
There’s just so much thick brush that spotting this impala is almost impossible. Not to mention, his horns really blend in with the rest of the branches sticking up from the ground. This camera-shy animal really found the perfect place to hide!
7. Famed for his spots and ability to reach high speeds, this wild guy can be nearly impossible to locate in his homeland of East Africa. As hunting is his major day-to-day activity, fantastic hiding abilities are crucial. Can you find him?
There are just so many places he could be that it’s easy to overlook the obvious. If you guessed this cheetah was in the brush toward the bottom left corner of the picture, then you’re correct! Just be careful, because it looks like he’s got his eyes on you.
8. This predator’s tracks are longer and more oblique than a dog’s, and it eats primarily the meat of smaller animals. You can find them all over North America, Mexico, and Central America—but can you find the one in this photograph?
If you’re looking for paw prints in the snow, don’t waste your time. Just focus your attention on the center of the photo. There he is! This coyote must be waiting in the thick, snow-covered brush for his next meal to arrive. Yikes!
9. You’ll most likely spot this critter in Central America and northern parts of South America. The males are a turquoise color with black around their eyes. Females, however, are green with turquoise heads. Can you find her here?
Now that you know the difference between the male and female coat patterns, you should’ve been able to locate this blue dacnis. Just try to look past the thick of the green leaves and you’ll see her. There she is—sitting so pleasantly in the tree without a care in the world!
10. Commonly found in India, males of this species have antlers while the females do not. The real question is whether knowing that little bit of information helps you locate the one hiding in this picture. You bet it does…
Do you see those prominent antlers in the top-right portion of the photo? That’s a male spotted dear! Looks like now you’ve spotted him. Even as clever as these animals are, they aren’t the only masters of camouflage out there.
Artists employ all sorts of mediums to create their work. Some of them use a simple paintbrush to make their masterpieces, while others mold their works out of clay or glass. One thing’s for certain, though: there’s no one correct way to produce art.
Italian artist and photographer Johannes Stötter spent years perfecting his craft, but the canvases he used for his creations were very… unique, to say the least. In fact, it even takes a minute for art connoisseurs to interpret his works…
Johannes was a painter by trade, willing to paint on any canvas, no matter the shape or size, so long as it fits one unusual requirement. See, this bizarre image might look like a photograph of rocks. But it’s not.
In reality, Johannes painted bodies! Using meticulous attention to detail, he carefully concealed his human subjects in still-life arrangements. It took hours to paint his models, but the finished products were nothing short of mind-bending.
Some of Johannes’ models were so camouflaged that you wouldn’t ever know they were there unless someone pointed them out. It took years of practice to learn how to paint the human body like this — so what inspired him to tackle the challenge?
Johannes said his inspiration came from the changing seasons, nature, and everyday objects. He never really had a complete idea of what he was going to paint until the feeling overcame him. Then, he went to work and didn’t stop until his vision was complete.
The way he visualized the world was unlike anything else. All artists have a natural gift to see things in a creative way, but Johannes took art to an entirely new level — and it’s clear that his fans loved it!
The detail that he captured on skin was incredible. The texture didn’t allow for any errors, so Johannes planned his ideas out thoroughly before he even puts one single drop of paint onto his human canvases.
This looks like it’s nothing more than a picture of four people enjoying a nice meal. But, then you see it: a person is lying on the table! Whatever the pattern, Johannes could replicate it perfectly. That marble must’ve really taken some work, though!
Texas Hill Country
This was, arguably, one of his best pieces of work. A quick glance would lead you to believe that this is just a simple photo of two parrots. Take a closer look. Yep, it’s painted people. A masterpiece like this took countless hours to produce.
Johannes was the master of body camouflage, but body paint wasn’t the only way for a person to blend in with his or her surroundings. In fact, most of the time, people seem to coordinate with the world around them without even trying…
Not many of us are too concerned about what socks we put on on a given day, but this person probably regretted their footwear choice. Imagine the shock they must’ve felt when they looked down and their feet were gone!
Coincidences can sometimes be startling, but the look on this guy’s face tells you everything you need to know about this unexpected realization. Whether the towel is his or not, one thing’s for sure: this guy has impeccable taste.
Are bowls that are clearly bowls too mainstream for you? Have you always dreamed of eating mac and cheese off your shirt but never wanted to deal with the cleanup? Look no further than this mind-bending bowl that blends seamlessly into floral-print shirts.
Scroll quickly and you’ll think this man was leaning against some kind of futuristic backless chair aimed at improving lumbar support. Look again, however, and you’ll realize that he just really, really liked blue and white stripes.
Whoops! It looks like someone dropped their floral-patterned phone onto the floral-patterned rug. But wait… where did it land? After this image went viral, nearly half of the online users that searched couldn’t find the lost phone. Can you?
It’s one thing to really like gum, but this girl seemed to have taken her gum-cession to the next level. Let’s just hope her eyesight was better than her fashion sense: if she’s not careful, she may end up chewing off one of her fingers!
Whoever said granite countertops were cheesy might have been onto something. For anyone looking to renovate a kitchen for cheap, the rind of this fancy cheese would make the perfect substitute… just as long as you don’t mind the smell.
It’s the age-old debate: who wore it better? The walls made a strong case with a more subdued look, but the swagger and self-assurance of this woman easily made her the winner of this fashion showdown.
If you thought that this was a picture of a clump of hair on a bed, you’re not alone. Cheetahs are hard enough to spot as it is, but cheetah on cheetah? You’d have to have eagle eyes to spot the girl in this photo on first glance.