When it comes to ranking which dog breed is the best, the task is truly impossible. Every breed is the best breed because dogs are the greatest living things on planet Earth. However, it is useful to know which dogs are the most popular — and to learn more about them!
There is breed for everyone, and if you’re really lucky, you rescue a totally unique mutt with the greatest characteristics of many different breeds. Either way, looking at 40 pictures of dogs, and seeing which dog is the top dog, will make your day, guaranteed.
40. Italian Greyhound: As mini versions of the huge, elegant greyhound, this breed is a perfect apartment dog. They are very loving and crave a lot of attention from their owners. They are agile and intelligent, which can lead to a mischievous streak.
Jenna Marbles / YouTube
39. English Sheepdog: Appearing as a ball of fluff, this breed is irresistibly adorable. They have strong personalities and are independent, strong-willed dogs, willing to protect their owners from any perceived threat.
38. Shiba Inu: Initially bred as a hunting dog in Japan, these cuties are now the most popular companion dog in the country. You may also know them as a popular internet dog, often used as the meme “Doge.”
@dat_ashh_tho / Instagram
37. Shih Tzu: These lapdogs are fun, happy and cheerful little pups that have never met a stranger. Although they are small dogs, they’re not prone to being nippy or bossy. Shih Tzus make fantastic dogs for any type of owner.
Robert Nunnally / Flickr
36. Newfoundland: Newfies have a playful disposition and love exercise. Bred for water activities, they thrive when they have access to pools, ponds, lakes, rivers, or oceans. They are sweet, intelligent, and enjoy cuddling with their owners.
@nashthenewfie / Instagram
35. Bichon Frise: It doesn’t get much fluffier than these companion dogs. Their coats can be pretty high-maintenance, requiring a lot of grooming. With more low key personalities, they’re friendly and gentle.
@akio_iamfine / Instagram
34. King Charles Cavalier Spaniel: These happy dogs and their movie star good looks are great family companions. You might recognize the breed from the Disney movie Lady and the Tramp, as Lady herself is one of these adorable dogs.
@wantsomefatcake / Instagram
33. Chow Chow: If you’re looking to have a chow chow that’s great with all people and other dogs, early socialization is key. These dogs were bred for protection, so they aren’t afraid to protect their homes. When trained properly, their famously blue tongues and fluffy coats will steal your heart.
@chowchow_baloumolly / Instagram
32. French Bulldog: Commonly referred to as “Frenchies,” these little dogs are insanely popular. Like a more compact version of their English cousins, they are perfect companion dogs. They are stubborn and sometimes high-maintenance, but give lots of love to their owners.
@coronabulldogz / Instagram
31. Bloodhound: They make incredible family dogs because of their very even temper and gentle nature. However, when this breed is on the hunt, they can be very determined and independent. They are bred to follow a scent trail and will do so no matter what.
@christietrainsdogs / Instagram
30. Poodle: This breed attracts attention with their iconic coats, which is great because these dogs love to be in the spotlight. Poodles are fun-loving pups who can be prone to barking or acting out if ignored. If all their needs are fulfilled, they are easy and loving companions.
@chico_wan / Instagram
29. Australian Shepard: Aussies are super intelligent, athletic, and affectionate dogs. They have soft, fluffy coats particularly known for the unique merle coloring. This breed is very protective of their family members and can be wary of strangers.
@thefinnstablog / Instagram
28. As with many tiny dogs, this breed has a huge personality. Yorkies are domineering and very feisty, while requiring lots of love and attention from their owners. In return, they have a ton of love to give.
@mia.and.benny / Instagram
26. Weimaraner: As active and athletic dogs, this breed requires room to run. They are usually intensely bonded with their owner can often suffer from separation anxiety. Their signature gray/silver coat makes them very striking.
@winslowandremi / Instagram
27. Bullmastiff: These dogs are huge, but they have no idea. Despite their considerable frame, they love being lapdogs to their beloved owners. Mastiffs are loving, loyal, calm and protective.
@mylifewithbullmastiffs / Instagram
25. Irish Wolfhound: These dogs look so wise and mature, and their personality matches their appearance! They are thoughtful, patient, and sweet-tempered. Though they are large and can run fast, they prefer to take it slow and hang around the house.
@walterthewolfhound / Instagram
24. Chihuahua: Though tiny, these pups are very feisty and confident companions. They are people pleasing but can be territorial and bossy. As a breed, they’re very needy and require a lot of attention and love.
@sweetalex8 / Instagram
23. Basset Hound: Famous for their incredible ears, basset hounds are super sweet and friendly dogs. They are driven by their love of food and sense of smell, so if you hand over a treat, you have a new best friend in this breed.
@rogerthehound / Instagram
22. Boston Terrier: Also known as the “American gentleman,” Boston terriers are small and lively dogs with a cheerful disposition. They love burying their bones and get along well with people and other animals alike.
@sushi.boston / Instagram
21. Goldendoodle: A fairly new breed, these cuties have become a very quick favorite among families. They are a poodle-golden retriever hybrid, which makes them painfully adorable, fluffy as heck, and very friendly. Plus, they don’t shed, which is a beautiful thing.
@mr.finn.doodle / Instagram
20. Pug: As one of the most charming dog breeds, pugs are a favorite of lapdog lovers. Their wrinkles make them super cuddly, which is great because they love chilling on the couch and binge watching Netflix with you.
@sophiathepugg / Instagram
19. Jack Russell Terrier: These tiny powerhouses are highly intelligent and very active. They love to dig and hunt, which means they prefer a lot of space to run around in. JRTs are vocal and make great guard dogs.
@jrt_lady_lizz / Instagram
18. Boxer: This breed is large and very energetic, making them the ideal pup for a someone with a highly active lifestyle. If not exercised properly, they can be somewhat destructive to the home. If well cared for, they are very loving.
17. Greyhound: This breed consists of good-natured angels! Often abused in the dog racing industry, they are available via many rescue organizations. Despite their athletic acumen, they prefer lazing around the house with their family.
@juliensolomita / Instagram
16. English Bulldog: They are one of the most distinctive breeds, known for their large heads and plentiful wrinkles. Often strong-willed and calm, they need human affection. Their low-activity levels make them happy in small spaces, and they don’t require much exercise.
@bulldog_corner / Instagram
15. Dalmatian: You don’t need 101 of them to know how sweet these dogs are. Dalmatians are sensitive, playful, and active dogs who can be stubborn at times. When well-trained, they make great watchdogs and family dogs.
@hugo.thedalmatian / Instagram
14. Doberman Pinscher: Their looks can be intimidating, but this breed is loving, intelligent and energetic. They are protective of their owners and good with children if raised alongside them. Like most breeds, they are eager to please their owner.
@davidsrjr / Instagram
13. Corgi: It isn’t hard to see why corgis are quite possibly the internet’s favorite dog. Their short legs and fluffy tails make them incredibly cute. However, they can have quite the feisty streak. With proper training, corgis are great companions.
@mimicorgi / Instagram
12. Rottweiler: This breed is strong, confident, and fearless. The have a tough exterior, but a soft and cuddly personality that makes them some of the most lovable dogs ever.
@odietherottie / Instagram
11. Saint Bernard: Made famous by the Beethoven movies, these massive pups are truly a star breed. They thrive in a family environment and are generally calm and gentle, while being very protective of their human family members.
@crumbles_saintbernard / Instagram
10. Dachshund: Also known as wiener dogs due to their long bodies, these dogs are lively, fiercely loyal and very clever. They make great apartment dogs because of their small size, but don’t let that fool you. Dachshunds are full of personality!
@cleo_and_scout / Instagram
9. Bernese Mountain Dog: These big dogs are as sweet as they come. Calm, happy-go-lucky, and very friendly, they make amazing family dogs. Plus their puppy dog eyes and fluffy fur are the cutest!
@gnomothedog / Instagram
8. Beagle: Known for their signature howl and very keen sense of smell, the beagle will melt your heart with just one look. They are amiable and determined, especially when it comes to getting their paws on your food!
@paul_der_beagle / Instagram
7. Border Collie: Besides being absolutely adorable, border collies are energetic, intelligent and responsive to training. They need a lot of exercise but also enjoy down time with the family. Plus, they love to play fetch!
@cupidustale_border_collie / Instagram
6. Pit Bull: These dogs have gotten a bad reputation in the past due to incredibly irresponsible human beings, but don’t let that shape your view. These dogs are very friendly, intelligent, and affectionate. With the proper owner and training, they’re wonderful companions.
@officialjonathanperez / Instagram
5. Great Dane: These are gentle giants whose hearts are as big as they are. They are devoted and loving, and surprisingly laid-back for such big dogs. Whether they’re solving mysteries or not, they make great pets.
@petcity.It / Instagram
4. Siberian Husky: Huskies are known for their fluffy coats and often striking blue eyes. These dogs are friendly and outgoing in temperament and have never met a stranger. They thrive in cold environments and welcome affection.
@huskysquad / Instagram
3. Labrador Retriever: Labs are even tempered, gentle, and trusting. These qualities make them an ideal best friend. They love swimming, so they are your perfect beach or pool buddy.
@chocolatelab_mogli / Instagram
2. German Shepard: These dogs are obedient, intelligent, and courageous. They make very effective working dogs because of their intelligence but double as loyal family companions with a playful side. Plus, those ears are adorable!
@scoreyspack / Instagram
1. Golden Retriever: They are the golden standard when it comes to dogs. Prominence in pop culture combined with their ability to be the greatest family dogs on the planet make them top dog. These 20 pics definitely prove it:
@fuyuhoshi / Instagram
This toddler and his tiny, furry friends somehow made a cramped laundry basket the perfect spot for nap time. It’s so sweet, it’s practically giving us a cavity.
2. Where do you think these happy boys were going? Heaven perhaps? Whoever was driving behind this truck must’ve felt a jolt of happiness after witnessing this. We would’ve had to restrain ourselves from hopping out of the driver’s seat just to give each pooch a pet.
3. It looks like your boss wants to speak with you privately about something important. Don’t panic though; he just wants to reassure you that you’re a rock star… he would also like a few pets and several belly rubs.
lvl99slayer / Reddit
4. She’s been hailed Queen of All Goldens, and these furry guys are her loyal followers. Just look at these majestic boys; they pamper her with wet kisses and all the nuzzles.
theicebitchcometh / Imgur
5. Look at these sweet sibling faces. They’re so darn adorable that we just want to squeeze them as tightly as possible, in a safe way of course. Cute aggression is taking over us! They’re so precious, we could scream!
6. Um, what’s going on here? These two pups tried playing Tetris with their bodies and appear to be stuck, though they seem completely unbothered! Will someone please break these two cuties up?
Golden Retriever World / Tumblr
7. This sweetie came to rescue you from your debilitating snow prison. She wanted to make sure her beloved master was still breathing. We wouldn’t be able to stop ourselves from booping that adorable, wet nose.
dannyhelf / Reddit
8. Oh, to be a girl paralyzed by clumsy golden retriever puppies. How in the heck is she supposed to choose just one puppy? If we were her, we’d be adopting all nine of them. So much fluff.
anthonydbaldwin / Reddit
9. Hmm, it’s pretty difficult to concentrate on the game with this goofy face staring at you. He just wants one fry… or two… or ten. Wait, what’s the score again?
legitbean / Reddit
10. That walk really wore this Labrador pupper out. As soon as he saw a stream of cool, refreshing water, he leaped right in. He may be lying in mud and soggy leaves, but he sure does look comfortable.
dickfromaccounting / Reddit
11. This golden angel is having an identity crisis; he thinks he’s a cat. Silly pup, everyone knows that only cats can take the shape of any container! You’re not looking too comfy, there.
jberk5071 / Reddit
12. This little pupperoni is so happy it’s the Fourth of July because the best way to celebrate Independence Day is with FOOD. She’s trying to charm you into giving her more peanut butter. Is it working?
tfro9 / Reddit
13. Nope, this doggo didn’t dip his face in a puddle of sludge. His black face birthmark is just as iconic as Marilyn Monroe’s signature mole! It suits him so well.
HopeSandoval / Reddit
14. Who doesn’t love an unlikely animal friendship? This good boy is perfectly content cuddling up to this feline fast boy. Friends come in all shapes and sizes… and they’re not always domesticated.
awwww! Cute! / Tumblr
15. This is a blessed image. These two cuddly goldens and their feline friend seem to be enjoying a lazy Sunday. It doesn’t look like they have plans of moving for quite a while.
@wat.ki / Instagram
16. The world is amazing! There are lots of humans! More doggos! Fresh air! If you couldn’t tell by this excited puppy’s elated face, it’s his first time going out in public. He’s a social butterfly in the making.
aaronr93 / Reddit
17. Believe it or not, this good girl wants you to have her favorite toy. She greets every guest who enters her home with a gift. Heck, if she can’t find anything else, she’ll bring you the shoe you just removed at the door. It’s the thought that counts!
Endur / Reddit
18. So you’re desperately trying to write your wildly important dissertation, but a furry friend seems to be bored. We bet you can’t resist that face; he just wants to play! A five-minute break wouldn’t kill you.
realid / Tumblr
19. There seems to be a very prestigious golden retriever meeting going on. This peculiar huddle only gets more adorable when you realize what they’re enamored over. Spoiler: it’s a basket of kittens. We didn’t think “a basket of kittens” could ever truly exist in reality. Cuteness overload!
Pi Mei Nan JiuReport
19. This hot dog has got a hot dog in his mouth! Buddy, we see you’ve got on a baseball cap and a bandana, but we still know that you are very clearly a canine. No people food for you! Okay, maybe just this one time.
YourWebcam / Reddit
Okay, we admit it: All dogs are great, and these candid canine snaps prove it. Dogs aren’t usually allowed inside of Disney parks, but the staff will make exceptions for service dogs. It’s a good thing they do, too, because it’s clear that meeting his canine hero is all this one pup ever wanted!
2. Everybody has a favorite treat, and they’ll do anything once that familiar craving strikes. For dogs, that favorite food is, well… every single food there is. For this pup, however, it’s all about hot dogs!
3. This wiener dog doesn’t actually have the ability to take flight and soar through the air, but looking at this photograph you’d never know it! Good job, Super Pup! You’re keeping our parks free of errant tennis balls.
4. Ever wonder what dogs dream about? Looking at this sleeping puppy’s face, it’s clear that whatever is going on inside of his head is absolutely adorable. Check out that precious grin. He’s probably chasing little squirrels!
5. Unicorns might be fictional creatures, but take heart that magic still exists—you just have to know where to look for it! Behold: in deepest suburbia, seated upon the sacred wicker chair, we present the unipug!
6. How do you make a sweet-faced chocolate Labrador mix even more adorable than she already is? Why, place a beautifully prepared flower crown upon her little head, of course! Spring is in the air!
7. “Your lipstick? You mean that delicious-looking red stuff that comes in tube? The same stuff that smells like strawberries but tastes like wax, not that I would know? Nope, I have no idea where it went. Sorry!”
8. As if this photograph of a doggo enjoying some time inside of an empty bathtub wasn’t cute enough, wait until you hear why she’s there. It turns out she just gave birth to a litter of puppies—and she’s hiding from them in order to catch a couple of winks!
9. We’ve all been there. We know that we should get outside, enjoy the sun, and get some exercise. We know that it will make us feel better to chase around a ball or bark at the mailman. But, sometimes, we just want to take it easy in the grass!
10. They say that fences make the best neighbors, but these two dogs couldn’t disagree more. They might not share the same back yard, but that doesn’t keep them from expressing their affection for one another in the sweetest way!
11. There’s “content,” there’s “happy,” there’s “totally ecstatic,” and then there is… whatever plane of existence this dog has been transported to! Whatever has this dog on cloud nine, we will take eight more of it.
12. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, or at least, that’s what this very poetic bulldog must be thinking! This breed is known for being stubborn, slow-moving, and very loyal. But who knew these pups also had such a penchant for botany (and prose)?
13. It’s impossible not to be pleased with yourself when you’ve managed to tame your mane into something eye-catching, but this pooch—and his expression—has to take the cake. His “floof” is perfect, and he knows it!
14. These two take “cute” to a whole new dimension! They’re fluffy, bright-eyed, and just check out those goofy grins. You can tell that nothing makes them happier than spending time together.
15. For a long time, this poor little guy wasn’t able to run around and play like other dogs. But then his owners found a way to help him move more freely. Now, there’s nothing stopping him!
16. What’s even better than an adorable dog to hang out with? An adorable dog who can also iron your clothes! This guy certainly seems to be making strides. Somebody might want to explain that he’s got to plug it in first, though.
17. Not only is this pooch an expert when it comes to balancing things on her head, but she’s also managing to resist the urge to eat up all that tasty watermelon! At least, not before her owner snaps this photo…
18. Many dogs are known for their sense of duty and for being family-friendly pets. They’re especially great with babies—and that sentiment applies to baby sheep, too! This pooch is one great babysitter.
19. Sometimes, when you’re having a particularly bad day, you just have to grin and bear it. Sure, this dog might not actually have a lot of stress in his life—he’s a dog, after all!—but he’s definitely taking that advice to heart.
20. Cheetahs in captivity are known to suffer from anxiety, so they’ll often be paired with their own service dogs—and they’ll play with each other as if they’re siblings. Who says that cats and dogs can’t ever get along?