Relocating from your hometown to a brand new environment is tough for anyone. You show up with no knowledge of where anything is, you have to get acclimated to your new home, and worst of all, you left your friends behind. There’s no easy way to adjust, and that’s true for our pets, too.
When Amber Monte and her husband moved across the country, they were nervous about adjusting to their new home. But even more concerning was their Golden Retriever, whose fear of others forced them to make a painful choice.
Amber Monte and her husband lived in England where they both had great jobs, close friends, and a quaint life. However, the star of the family was their pooch, Lola, who they adopted as a puppy.
Lola was a Golden Retriever with an amazing personality. She loved other humans, and everyone who visited the couple left with a new canine buddy who couldn’t wait to see them when they returned.
Amber would take Lola for long walks around her neighborhood where they’d frequently run into Amber’s friends. The pooch loved the interactions she had with humans, but when it came to large dogs, she acted completely differently.
For as outgoing as she was with her human pals, she was totally shy around large-breed dogs, even if they were outgoing and friendly themselves. However, there was one dog who Lola was always excited to see.
It was her friend Skylar! Both dogs knew each for years, and it was all smiles and tail wagging when they hung out. Just look at those faces; they literally couldn’t be be any happier. Skylar even stood by Lola’s side during a particularly difficult time.
After a visit to the veterinarian, it turned out Lola suffered from elbow dysplasia, and she had to have some intense surgery to correct it. Skylar, being the amazing companion she was, stuck by her side nearly every day after.
Even though it was apparent Lola felt uncomfortable when she was around big dogs, she had a fascination with animals in general. However, Amber had no idea how much that fascination would grow after she and her husband relocated.
The tiny family moved to a small town just outside of Surrey, England. It was a change of pace from their old home, but they now had more space to move about, which meant more room for Lola to run around — though not without some drawbacks.
They even had a backyard, as well. Their yard was separated from the neighbor’s by a wooden fence. There was nothing special about the fence at all but shortly after moving in, Amber noticed something strange about it.
For some reason, the fence had Lola in an almost trance-like state for much of every day. Why was she so obsessed with this ordinary fence? It wasn’t until Amber and her husband met their neighbors that they figured it out.
Their new neighbors had a Staffordshire terrier named Loki. He would roam the backyard, and Lola could get brief glimpses of him throughout the day. They two couples figured the dogs should meet.
Amber was naturally a little nervous before the face-to-face encounter. Loki sure wasn’t a small dog, and Lola’s anxiety very well might kick in. However, the couples let the two dogs peer over the fence at each other and kept their fingers crossed.
Lo and behold, sparks flew the second the dogs saw each other! It was an incredible moment for Amber and her husband. Lola broke through a huge barrier, and now she had a friend who lived right next door!
Both dogs were smitten with each other, and the very next day, Amber found Loki waiting at her back door as if to ask if Lola could come out and play. This seemed like it was becoming more than just friendship…
Lola’s entire demeanor quickly began to change after the meeting. The first thing she did when let out back to roam was check to see if Loki was also out. She’d whine and look out the window when she saw him from indoors.
Amber couldn’t help but think romance was in the air. She’d seen friendships blossom between dogs before, but this was different. Both animals almost needed each other. It was something straight out of the film Lady and the Tramp.
Amber and her husband couldn’t help but think about the love that blossomed between them when they met. To watch their precious pup fall in love with another dog who reciprocated the feeling was adorable. The stars aligned for Lola when they moved to Surrey.
Almost every day Amber snaps awesome photos of the cute new “couple” playing around. This picture actually looks like Lola and Loki are ballroom dancing! She quickly realized the move to Surrey was exactly what Lola needed to find pure happiness.
Lola’s owners were blessed to have a dog like her, but they count their lucky stars every day that the move to Surrey truly benefited their four-legged friend. Who knows what Lola thinks about every night when she drifts off, but the couple is pretty sure it’s Loki.
While these pups dreamed of each other, a pooch not so far away was harboring big dreams himself. See, for nearly a year, a woman named Kacy noticed her dog would walk up to the same window three times a day and just stare.
At first, Kacy thought he simply wanted to go outside, but every time she tried to take him, he pulled away and returned to her apartment window. It was behavior like she’d never seen before, and frankly, it worried her.
One afternoon, seemingly out of the blue, her dog was acting depressed. He sat on her bed all day, refused to eat, and didn’t peer out of the window once. Even when she went in to try to comfort him he would shy away. What was going on?
This behavior was even more unlike Kacy’s four-legged companion. That night, Kacy slept alongside him, hoping her company could cheer him up. She planned to take him to the vet the next morning to see if anything was physically wrong; she was scared there was.
Thankfully, the vet gave Kacy’s dog a clean bill of health the next day. But when they got back home, her dog, again, walked past the window and into her bedroom. Finally, Kacy glanced out the window herself and noticed something different…
Her neighbor put a bunch of houseplants in their window. Surely this couldn’t be why her dog was upset. As she was looking at the plants, however, she finally caught a glance at what her dog had been so transfixed on.
It was a cat that belonged to her neighbor across the street! Although cats and dogs aren’t usually the best of friends, these two clearly couldn’t get enough of each other from afar. Kacy was in awe; her dog didn’t even like cats…
Although Kacy had never interacted with her neighbor before, she decided to write them a note and explain the situation. She hoped that as a fellow animal lover, they would understand the heartbreak her dog felt and be willing to help.
Kacy had put her all into the letter. Her dog was still moping around her apartment, but hopefully not for much longer. Would Kacy’s neighbor reciprocate the care even though the two had never met before?
The next morning, Kacy was ecstatic when she looked out her window and saw that not only had her neighbor removed the pots from the window, but they answered her letter with a letter of their own that read, “For True Love!”
Kacy’s neighbor knew how important their cat’s presence was to Kacy’s dog, and they didn’t want to be the reason an animal suffered heartbreak. Kacy hoped one day both animals can finally meet and let their passion for each other grow even stronger!
It’s not uncommon at all for cats and dogs to become little lovebirds! You don’t have to look very far on the Internet to find examples of true love and friendship blossoming between cats and dogs everywhere.
This cat and her golden retriever best friend are basically inseparable. They spend their days together napping and hanging out. They are even content to pose with each other for their owner’s occasional photo shoots.
This dog in Japan performs with his owner on the streets almost every day. His best friend? A lovable stray cat who cannot wait to go up to this dog and meow an eager “hello” every time his bespectacled buddy hits the scene.
Every kitten needs a role model to look up to as they grow, and that role model doesn’t always have to be an older cat. Take this pup and the kitten she is so patiently raising. Frisky kittens and patient older dogs are a match made in heaven.
Ruth the cat and Idgie the dog were both found abandoned together, so they were adopted together! They’re named after the famous friends in the film Fried Green Tomatoes, and now these two animals share a cozy home, and bed, together!
For this Siamese kitty, one puppy to love wasn’t nearly enough! Two dogs to cuddle with is twice as nice! Look at how happy this kitty is to have made herself the center of the world’s most adorable sandwich.
These two snuggle bunnies are definitely made for each other. The dog’s name is Kodi and the cat is Myshkin, and their solid bond formed when Myshkin was just a 10-week-old kitten. Kodi even battled cancer at one point, and Myshkin was by his side every step of the way.
The love this cat named Scout had for his dog friend Charlie never diminished, even after Charlie sadly passed away. Now, Scout watches videos of his old friend on the computer every night before he goes to sleep. There aren’t many animal stories more touching than this.
No morning ever truly starts until this Dalmatian receives a huge hug and kiss from his kitten pal! Let’s face it: every day would be a little better if before we left the house we were embraced by a four-legged little furball like this guy!
1. Of course, not all cats and dogs get along that well. “Who’s this new guy with the long nose and floppy ears?” These cats look as if they’ve never seen a dog before in their lives, let alone in their own home!
Reddit / panda_nectar
2. When you see your brother or sister in an embarrassing neck cone of shame, you can’t help but gloat just a little bit. We have to say that sitting on top of the cone might be overkill. This canine must feel like anything but top dog!
Reddit / blehavenbest
3. Pretty surprising how the baby pig is nibbling on the dog and not the other way around! The good news is that these two like each other too much to turn on one another. Also, their family undoubtedly keeps them well-fed.
YouTube / Barcroft TV
4. Ever get the feeling you’re being watched? As this pup adjusts to his new home, he thinks everything’s going swimmingly. But he has no idea he’s getting the glare to end all glares from his brother behind the sofa.
5. Just because animals don’t eat with silverware doesn’t mean they’re not naturals at spooning. By the looks of it, nobody could pry these pet pals apart even if they had a crowbar.
Reddit / Gabriellogan52
6. “Retreat! We’re outnumbered! Retreat!” You can see the fear in this pooch’s eyes when she saw she was surrounded by cats on all sides. Luckily for her, she probably isn’t in any real danger, based on the kitties’ bored expression.
Twitter / Cherie Priest
7. For most cats, it’s bad enough when you have to go on a car ride. What makes it even worse is when you have to watch your human scratch the chin of another animal! “Are we there yet, mom?”
Reddit / nanatalada
8. Hey now, there’s plenty of room on the couch for everyone. Just like human siblings, these corgis can spat when they can’t get their way. Odds are, however, that both of them forgot about their feud just a few seconds later.
9. Unlike the corgis, this pup has no issue sharing the couch with other animals. The only problem is that he’s chosen to sit directly on one of the other animals. All of the sudden, the cat thinks sitting on the floor can’t be so bad after all.
Imgur / pulchritude022
10. These pets must have been watching Looney Tunes lately because this photo is like Sylvester and Tweety Bird come to life. Perfectly content, the parakeets sit on their natural predator without a worry in the world.
11. When this kitty spots the puppy that her people brought home, she can’t help but scream. Either that or the photographer caught the cat in the middle of a yawn. Like all great photos, the meaning is somewhat up to the viewer.
12. Most dogs won’t think twice about doing something extreme, like chasing after a car on the street or drinking out of the toilet. But they can also freak out about the smallest things. When this pooch meets the family hamster, he looks like he’s seen a ghost.
13. Just look at that loving gaze! Although we see a lot of tense moments between pets — particularly cats and dogs — these two prove that moments of true friendship are indeed possible.
Reddit / securitygirl1989
14. Parents end up breaking up all the fights, whether it’s kids or pets. After this pug discovered the cat curled up in his bed, he naturally went to his family to intercede. His angry eyes are commanding, “Do something about this, human!”
15. Dogs, cats, chickens — it doesn’t matter. All outdoor pets want to be indoor pets. Judging by their intense gazes, there’s also some delicious, freshly cooked food in that kitchen. It’s tough to beg through the window.
16. When the cat tries to go downstairs at the same time as the dog tries to go upstairs, the entire household comes to a standstill. This is one staring contest that will go on for days — or until someone nearby has some food.
17. And the award for the world’s angriest selfie goes to…this feline! He can’t help but feel extremely annoyed that the family dog is hogging so much room on the couch. At least he can take solace in the fact that the camera loves him.
Reddit / SecretAg3nt
18. Pets are soft and warm, like a pillow. Of course, most of us don’t use them as actual pillows. This pooch, on the other hand, isn’t afraid to rest his head on his cat sibling. He looks like he’s never been comfier, though we can’t say the same for the kitty.
19. When it comes to humans, some people are huggers, while others prefer to not touch anybody. Pets are the same way. The cat is clearly looking forward to this display of affection being over for good.
20. This golden retriever looks like he would like to speak to the manager. To be fair, wouldn’t you be a little perplexed if you walked into your bedroom and found someone else sleeping in your bed?
Reddit / haysalpj
21. “No, by all means, you take my bed. I’m good with this basket.” – said no one ever. Look, you two already share the same fur coat, what’s so bad about sharing a bed? There is plenty of room for two to get cozy.
22. This seems fair. It only makes sense after all that the guest should have a nice, big bed. Just wait until old collie boy finds out that this little kitten is no guest, she’s here to stay man.
23. Cat – 1, Dogs – 0. In a game with two against one, you’d think the outcome would be obvious. But these two huskies are here to remind people not to be too confident when gambling with precious territory. Two is just a number.
24. “Are you really going to let this fly?” This poor pup is looking to his mom for help. Unfortunately for him, mom just thought this was too good of a photo op to pass up. Looks like you’re going to have to stick up for yourself, dawg.
25. “Oh my god, Becky look at that cat. She is just like sleeping in my bed. I mean, she just took it like it’s hers. She’s only doing it cause she thinks she’s better than dogs and all. I mean gross, look. She’s just such a… cat!”
26. Perfectly normal… just looking at this photo, it is pretty obvious whose bed is whose at this point. As the great poet once said, “though she be but little, she is fierce.” You work those prints girl.
27. “I didn’t want to lay there, anyway.” Sure, sure you didn’t. The cold, hard floor is much better than a nice cushiony bed…
28. “Room for another?” This dog is not one to admit defeat so easily. If he can still get his snout and a paw in there, he is still in the game. Kit, on the other hand,nd is just like, “will you give it up already?”
29. On this episode of trading places: when he came back to find the cat had moved into his space he acted real chill and slipped into her vacated bed. When questioned about this move, he simply said he was trying to think outside the box.
30. “We’re going to need a plan.” What this really translates to is, “Mom! Dad! She stole my bed. Make her move!”
31. “This just isn’t fair!” Well, life isn’t fair old chap. It might be a dog eat dog world, but It’s also a cat snooze in dog world, too.
32. “I’ll just lay down right here, I guess.” As if the poor pup couldn’t be any more humiliated, now he’s about to have his cat sister walk all over him as she gets out of (her) bed.
33. “No, you have it. I insist.” How perfect is it that the bed has ‘posh’ embroderied on it. It’s almost like they knew.
34. “A little help here?” I don’t think interventions work the same in pet world. Unfortunately, you two are going to have battle for the bed.
35. Cats aren’t the only ones pushing their luck. “Oh… I was just checking to see if the asparagus was fresh. I swear!” This little guy’s eyes just say it all, don’t they? He knows exactly what he did, and he is terrified to have been caught.
36. “There’s a what where? I’m sorry, I don’t know what ‘lid’ means. It it that thing you’re always feeding whenever you want to throw out the food that you could have just given to me? Oh, it is? Okay, got it.”
37. “Hey friend! Why don’t you just go ahead and jump in with me? Uh, yeah, the water’s just a little bit warm. Don’t worry about that. I definitely had nothing to do with that, trust me.”
38. “At last, I will destroy—no, uh, I definitely wasn’t doing anything! That stuffed caterpillar is just, um, playing with me! Yeah, that’s right, we’re the best of friends. Tell them we’re friends, buddy!”
39. “I regret nothing! I don’t even mind the fact that I appear to be trapped in this huge, fluffy pillow. I am comfortable right now, and that is all that matters. So hey, leave me alone!”
40. “What? No, I’m not doing anything. I was just, uh, making sure you had your wallet. I’m happy to report that it’s safe and sound. Yup, it’s right here in your purse, where it’s always been. Untouched. Why do you have that look on your face?”