They live in our houses, sleep in our beds, and eat treats right out of our hands. We spend so much time with our pets that they start learning the rhythm of our personalities from the moment we meet. Through all that tummy scratching and meaningful eye gazing, it only makes sense that, after a while, you and the dog start to look alike.
So what came first: the resemblance or the love? Turns out, science has an answer. But ultimately, the most satisfying thing is looking at a bunch of side by sides of people who hold an uncanny similarity to their furry little friends. Because they really are doppelgängers, and it’s mesmerizing.
1. Topher Brophy and his dog baby Rosenberg are the spitting images of one another. So much so that Topher made a career out of creating dazzling side-by-side images of the both of them, always groomed to the nines.
Topher Brophy / Instagram
2. The tight corded coat of the Puli is frequently compared to dreadlocked hair. So if you’re lucky enough to own such a rare breed as this girl does, it’s hard not to take some style inspiration from their look.
3. She had to be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in her past life. There’s no other explanation for it. Frankly, we aren’t sure she’s not this dog’s twin sister in a human disguise. We demand a DNA test.
4. They met at a Guns N’ Roses concert in ’89 and have been best friends ever since. They’re always down to split a 12 pack of Keystone Light and a piping hot pepperoni pie, but they won’t stop bickering over who used the last of the hairspray.
5. When somebody tells you they don’t see the resemblance. Yeah…sure. It was fated that these two vessels of attitude would cross paths. They have beauty, they have grace, and they both are screaming sass with the power of face.
6. Life before adopting Doug was all business meetings and power lunches. Tim never stopped and smelled the roses. Plus, he was as bald as a cue. Then, Doug enters. Tim sold the practice, moved to the Caribbean, and sprouted the smoothest hair that looks vaguely familiar.
7. We spend so much time looking at our dogs that we must inherently want to look like them. This dog mom dyed her hair the same inky black shade as her raven-colored doggo, making them a gothic duo worthy of a Tim Burton film.
8. By now you’re probably thinking, does everyone look like their pet? The answer is: kinda. Behavioral scientists say lifestyle can determine similarities between pet and owner physiques. In most cases, though, people end up choosing a pet who favors them subconsciously.
9. Three blondes walk into a dog show. All of them are fabulous, and all of them are sisters! They hold a tight grip on the first, second, and third-place trophies for silkiest flaxen locks in South Carolina. Only one of them can win the dog show.
10. In this doggie’s defense, looking like her mama isn’t up to choice. She holds the scissors in this relationship and also wears the pants. She’s the human after all. Animals don’t wear pants.
11. There are over 300 different dog breeds, and of all the beard grooming stores in the world, this particular dog walked into his. What are the chances? Slim, probably. Celine Dion described them best when she said, “I’m your lady, and you are my man.”
Mirror / Goff
12. Doris likes to keep her twin girls under a strict grooming regime. Of course, she applies these same standards to keep up her own appearance. Every other Wednesday they head to the salon for perms, pedis, and lots of petting.
13. Fun fact about Donna’s gorgeous dog Mary Jo: she can unlock Donna’s phone through facial recognition. After years of trying to get their look just right, they finally reached the optimum level of the dog and human relationship.
14. Like most twins, these girls love to pull the old switcheroo. Carly sent her dog sister Daphne to take her real estate licensing exam; she’s got a photographic memory, and no one gave her a second glance.
15. Yes, there is a cat on the list. Yes, he does look exactly like his baby brother. Yes, they do share pajama sets. Yes, they both need to be cradled and told they are loved constantly.
16. A couple of dopes on the slopes, that’s what Jeff and Peanut Butter are. Sadly, their matching windswept strands confuse all their students because no one can remember which one is the lead ski instructor. Peanut Butter has a hat.
17. Someone stole mom’s car to go to the skate park. She found a few curly hairs on the driver’s seat, so she narrowed her suspects down to these two. Neither has their license, but the one famously loves sticking his head out the window.
18. Humans spend billions on blasting away wrinkles. On dogs, wrinkles are a sign of maximum cuteness. Judd had the brilliant idea to get the wrinkliest dog on the planet, the Shar-Pei, so they can stand close together to confuse people’s perceptions of his appearance.
19. From the moment she spotted the dog with heterochromia, the condition of having two different colored eyes, this gal knew she’d found her perfect match. How could she pass up the pup that sees the world through practically the same eyes?
Practically isn’t the same as actually. If you haven’t ever stopped to think about it, few animals have eyes front and center and as close together as humans do. Thankfully, you can see how weird they would look if they did.
1. In nature, most animals all have eyes on the sides of their heads; this feature helps them spot predators with ease. Not so with these goofy photos! One Photoshop artist shows you what these animals would look like with eyes on the front of their face—just like humans.
2. This rabbit wouldn’t last too long in the wild with those funny little peepers. Can you imagine how silly it would be to stumble across an animal like this out in the wild? What a hoot. At least it would make catching rabbits easier for Elmer Fudd!
3. This chicken is the stuff of nightmares. If chickens were born with eyes like these, then human beings would probably never have thought to find them tasty. How could you feast on a creature that stares you down like this?
4. You might think of pigeons as being too observant, but if they were born with eyes like these, it seems like they would constantly be on high alert for stuff that mattered. You know, like bread crumbs and ice cream cones dropped by toddlers.
5. To be honest, this giraffe with its eyes moved to the front doesn’t seem that much different than your average giraffe. However, give it time. The longer you look at it, the weirder-looking it really is. Beautiful lashes, though!
6. Something about moving the eyes to the front of this shark makes him seem totally non-threatening. If you were drowning and this shark swam up to you, then you would probably swallow buckets of water just laughing at it. Silly Jaws.
7. Turns out that some animals have their eyes on the side of their heads for practical reasons. With the eyes on the front of this goat, it’s clear just how much of the animal’s head is used for head-butting. You wouldn’t want eyes to get in the way of that!
8. Things that need to happen immediately: a TV show staring this dolphin and the shark from earlier in this article. They would be best friends and roommates who bonded to survive their brutal bullying at the hands of the popular fishes in school. This silly face could only work in a crazy situation like that!
9. Some people say that animals can’t express emotions in the same way that human beings can, but those people have clearly never seen a photograph of an ostrich with his eyes moved to the front of his face. Yup… he’s definitely judging us all.
10. Panda bears are solitary, sleepy creatures easily identified by their black-and-white-patterned coats. This panda definitely stands out from the crowd with his forward-facing eyes moved even closer together! Still, unlike many of the other animals on this list, he at least looks somewhat sweet and innocent!
Lucky for them, our pets aren’t strapped with beady ol’ human eyes. They have their big watery evocative peepers, that they use as their best get out of free card. When your animal has done something wrong, you’ll know by looking at their adorable manipulative faces.
1. This dog was caught red-pawed picking on their cat sibling. Dogs lead us to believe that their feline siblings taunt and manipulate them. When our backs are turned, so are the tables
RedditYankee / Reddit
2. So much for celebrations. This cake was destroyed after a stealthy feline attack rendered it uneatable. By the look on this cat’s face, they didn’t plan on leaving any cake for the rest of the party, either.
3. Look at this most interesting dog in the world. He showed no shame at all towards his owner who caught him making a mess out of the school supplies. One might even say that he looked somewhat proud of himself.
Audrey Rosenstein / Twitter
4. Cats go under the couch all the time, but they usually don’t go through it. This feline friend managed to use their time away from their human to make a cat door in the couch.
Ccherry91 / Tumblr
5. Not all dogs enjoy getting baths, but apparently, this Siberian Husky did! This little pup found a place to relax in their very own, personal-sized bathtub. Sorry to whoever had to towel off this wet dog…
6. The way of life for a cat usually follows this kitty motto: “If it fits, I sits.” Being a malleable animal, cats normally have no problem squeezing into small places and odd shapes — and this one was living proof!
Iakasuasro102 / Reddit
7. On the other hand, dogs are not so great at fitting and sitting. When this owner realized her pooch wasn’t in the yard anymore, they came outside to find their “good dog” digging a comfy seat in their decorative planter. Guilt was written all over what we could see of their face!
Juuuuice / Reddit
8. This ferret thought a box in the recycling bin was a new toy. When their human returned, they found that their two-toned ferret managed to weasel their way into this box and get stuck. Good thing their human caught them!
MaidSirena / Imgur
9. Learning new tricks we didn’t want them to know is also something our pets do when we aren’t around. This cat was learning how to walk on the ceiling when they were caught in the act.
GermanSuplexingHorses / Imgur
10. When this bunny’s owner turned their back for a split second to grab a spoon, they jumped right up on to the counter and into this unoccupied bowl of Trix cereal. Silly rabbit! “Trix are for kids.”
MediterraneanLiamNeesonCrushedFace / Reddit
11. Even the most innocent looking pets can get up to no good. This little hamster snatched this cherry off of their owner’s plate when they weren’t looking. Needless to say, their days of freedom are gone. It’s the hamster wheel from here on out!
12. This cat’s secret life was clearly a bit unconventional. This tabby cat was involved in the largest pool gambling ring in the state. This photo caught them trying to cheat by intentionally “scratching” during the other team’s turn.
JeeperG / Imgur
13. This human couldn’t help but snap a photo of their dog when they found them like this. Their dog managed to find the egg crate foam in their dog bed and attempt to eat through it. They were almost successful… until it got stuck on their head.
14. This cat saw their human accidentally left the refrigerator open and took this opportunity to let their alter-ego “Fridge Cat” out to play! He seemed to regret this plan, no?
Emilyjjobot / Imgur
15. In any family, siblings pick on each other, especially the youngest ones. Things are no different in canine families. These two puppies decided their younger sibling was going to get a swirly!
16. Because of the black “mask” on their faces, raccoons are thought to look like little bandits. Their facial coloring is not coincidental though, they really are mischievous thieves in their secret lives. This raccoon was caught in the middle of a heist!
17. Sometimes dogs forget that their humans aren’t supposed to find out what they’re up to. This dog had absolutely no way of hiding the mess they made when their humans weren’t home, but they don’t seem that worried about it!
18. If you want a visual demonstration of what the words “criminally guilty” mean, then this photo is for you. This dog, seemingly proud of their work, was just happy that their owner was home again, not realizing the mess they made. Their reaction to being left home alone for fifteen minutes was next-level dramatic.
19. This cat was practicing scaling the walls while their human was at work, only to make a grave miscalculation. When their owner returned home, they were caught in the act, with no way to hide!
20. Hampers are no match for a curious young dog. New smells, old smells, just smell that smell. He was caught red-pawed sticking his nose where it shouldn’t be when the hamper lid got stuck on his head!