As pet owners, we imagine that when we leave the room for a minute or go to work, our pets just sleep and lounge around all day, patiently waiting for us to return. But that’s not always the case. In fact, our pets often lead secret lives that we never get to see…
And sometimes when they least expect it, we come back and catch them in the act of doing something pretty outrageous. These mischievous pets were caught red-handed — ahem, red-pawed — and the photographic evidence will make every pet owner howl with laughter.
1. This dog was caught red-pawed picking on their cat sibling. Dogs lead us to believe that their feline siblings taunt and manipulate them. When our backs are turned, so are the tables.
RedditYankee / Reddit
2. So much for celebrations. This cake was destroyed after a stealthy feline attack rendered it uneatable. By the look on this cat’s face, they didn’t plan on leaving any cake for the rest of the party, either.
3. Look at this most interesting dog in the world. He showed no shame at all towards his owner who caught him making a mess out of the school supplies. One might even say that he looked somewhat proud of himself.
Audrey Rosenstein / Twitter
4. Cats go under the couch all the time, but they usually don’t go through it. This feline friend managed to use their time away from their human to make a cat door in the couch.
Ccherry91 / Tumblr
5. Not all dogs enjoy getting baths, but apparently, this Siberian Husky did! This little pup found a place to relax in their very own, personal-sized bathtub. Sorry to whoever had to towel off this wet dog…
6. This ferret thought a box in the recycling bin was a new toy. When their human returned, they found that their two-toned ferret managed to weasel their way into this box and get stuck. Good thing their human caught them!
MaidSirena / Imgur
7. Learning new tricks we didn’t want them to know is also something our pets do when we aren’t around. This cat was learning how to walk on the ceiling when they were caught in the act.
GermanSuplexingHorses / Imgur
8. The way of life for a cat usually follows this kitty motto: “If it fits, I sits.” Being a malleable animal, cats normally have no problem squeezing into small places and odd shapes — and this one was living proof!
Iakasuasro102 / Reddit
9. On the other hand, dogs are not so great at fitting and sitting. When this owner realized her pooch wasn’t in the yard anymore, they came outside to find their “good dog” digging a comfy seat in their decorative planter. Guilt was written all over what we could see of their face!
Juuuuice / Reddit
10. When this bunny’s owner turned their back for a split second to grab a spoon, they jumped right up on to the counter and into this unoccupied bowl of Trix cereal. Silly rabbit! “Trix are for kids.”
MediterraneanLiamNeesonCrushedFace / Reddit
11. Even the most innocent looking pets can get up to no good. This little hamster snatched this cherry off of their owner’s plate when they weren’t looking. Needless to say, their days of freedom are gone. It’s the hamster wheel from here on out!
12. This cat’s secret life was clearly a bit unconventional. This tabby cat was involved in the largest pool gambling ring in the state. This photo caught them trying to cheat by intentionally “scratching” during the other team’s turn.
JeeperG / Imgur
13. This human couldn’t help but snap a photo of their dog when they found them like this. Their dog managed to find the egg crate foam in their dog bed and attempt to eat through it. They were almost successful… until it got stuck on their head.
14. This cat saw their human accidentally left the refrigerator open and took this opportunity to let their alter-ego “Fridge Cat” out to play! He seemed to regret this plan, no?
Emilyjjobot / Imgur
15. In any family, siblings pick on each other, especially the youngest ones. Things are no different in canine families. These two puppies decided their younger sibling was going to get a swirly!
16. Because of the black “mask” on their faces, raccoons are thought to look like little bandits. Their facial coloring is not coincidental though, they really are mischievous thieves in their secret lives. This raccoon was caught in the middle of a heist!
17. Sometimes dogs forget that their humans aren’t supposed to find out what they’re up to. This dog had absolutely no way of hiding the mess they made when their humans weren’t home, but they don’t seem that worried about it!
18. If you want a visual demonstration of what the words “criminally guilty” mean, then this photo is for you. This dog, seemingly proud of their work, was just happy that their owner was home again, not realizing the mess they made. Their reaction to being left home alone for fifteen minutes was next-level dramatic.
19. This cat was practicing scaling the walls while their human was at work, only to make a grave miscalculation. When their owner returned home, they were caught in the act, with no way to hide!
20. Hampers are no match for a curious young dog. New smells, old smells, just smell that smell. He was caught red-pawed sticking his nose where it shouldn’t be when the hamper lid got stuck on his head!
21. In a desperate attempt to recreate her favorite scene from the Disney film Lady and the Tramp, this colorful feline got her spaghetti slurp on. She was so eager to perform she didn’t wait for another cat to jump on the other end of the noodle!
22. How is anyone expected to enjoy a cup of coffee when pigeons are acting like each glass is their own personal restroom? This feathered bully better cough up the money for a new drink!
23. Once the spirit takes hold of this Dalmatian, there’s just no stopping the music! He’ll slam on that piano all night long, howling out tunes and letting the musical spirit move him. Move over Billy Joel, there’s a new piano man in town!
24. After a patient gets a thorough checkup in this office, the doctor passes it over to the second-in-command: their cat. The feline will look over the results, sleep on it, then deliver her diagnosis when she wakes up.
25. This lovely lady channeled her inner fashionista when her owner was out of the house making a dress from her favorite blanket! That dog in the background sure looks jealous because his style is severely lacking.
26. No game night is complete without a nosy cat making their way onto the game board and completely putting an end to all progress. Whoever is in the lead when the cat comes in and ruins everything automatically wins.
27. Uh oh, someone got busted! All he wanted was a bone, but he got caught up in some illegal kibble-smuggling activity, and now he has to pay for his crime. Life can be ruff sometimes!
28. After a long day at work, this employee thought the fax machine was the ideal location for an afternoon snooze. Hopefully, she’s not accidentally faxing pictures of her rear end to her clients!
29. Why run around in the grass outside under the sweltering sun when you can just drag the sprinkler in through the doggy door? You might as well bring your toys to where the air conditioning is.
30. There will be no gardening happening when this cat’s around. Still, at least he’s only lounging and not taking bites out of the leaves… at least, not when the camera’s watching.
31. This dog looks like he’s a bouncer at the hottest dog club in town — and he’s going to make sure no one underage gets in! Pooches better have their doggy tags ready if they want to get in and enjoy the luxuries of that upscale kitchen life.
32. Even though some animals aren’t allowed out of the house, that doesn’t mean they can’t still make new friends. It looks like every morning these two households are visited by a couple of curious creatures who want breakfast!
33. Why would anyone watch birds through the open bottom half of the window when there are plenty of noisy blinds to fumble with on top? Must be one heck of an engaging bird show this curious guy’s watching.
34. There’s really no more proper way to spend an afternoon in the sun than drifting around a pool in a tube while you doze. Hopefully no one cannonballs into the water and disrupts his zen moment.
35. This cat’s owner bought the spray bottle so they could prevent him from jumping up onto furniture. It turns out the bottle should be more afraid of the cat! Maybe the owner needs to invest in a Super Soaker. That’ll show em!
36. It’s going to take more than those cute “who, me?” eyes to get outta this mess. She picked a pretty epic fight with a roll of paper towels, and now she wants everyone to gaze upon her victory.
37. According to the owner of these pets, their cat learned how to break into the treat jar, and their dog acts like he doesn’t notice the theft in progress. That cat owes him a major favor for keeping his mouth closed.
38. Someone spent a good chunk of time carefully folding dumplings just to find paws all over them. Not pointing any fingers, but it’s a safe bet the culprit is the one peeking out from behind the door.
39. You’d think that sitting on the actual cushion would be way more comfortable than the wooden box-spring underneath. How did this cat even move an object so big on his own? Something fishy’s going on…
40. This little guy mistook the dog’s food for his litter box! He better hope his canine buddy doesn’t find out, or he’s in for an awkward day. Hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go, but not in someone’s breakfast.